Things To Do In Somerset County, New Jersey Main Page/Introduction
On-Line Edition Information
Accommodations & Convention Center
Agricultural Activities
Annual Events
Art and Museums
Historic Sites | Libraries
Music | Shopping | Golf
Parks and Recreation Areas
Public Transportation
Sports & Aviation
Theaters & Planetarium
Other Sources of Information

Historic Sites

Sites with an * are listed on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places.
All text and photos are courtesy of the Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Commission.

BEDMINSTER TOWNSHIP

Jacobus Vanderveer House
Jacobus Vanderveer House
95 US Route 202/206
The Jacobus Vanderveer House is the last surviving building associated with the Vanderveers, a family prominent in Bedminster Township history from its earliest settlement through the 19th century. According to tradition, it served as headquarters for General Henry Knox during the winter of 1778-79, when the American artillery was encamped at Pluckemin during the Middlebrook Cantonment (Second Middlebrook Encampment). It is an excellent example of a Dutch American house. The interior contains massive exposed beams as well as Federal, Greek Revival and Victorian woodwork. The house is owned by Bedminster Township and is operated by the Friends of the Jacobus Vanderveer House. For further information go to www.jvanderveerhouse.com
Pluckemin Continental Artillery Cantonment
Pluckemin Continental Artillery Cantonment*
2020 Burnt Mills Road
In December 1778, while General Washington's main army was encamped at nearby Middlebrook, a portion of the Brigade of Artillery was encamped at Pluckemin. The separation of the infantry from the artillery gave General Henry Knox, commander of the Artillery, the chance to implement ideas he had been developing for the improvement of the Continental Army's ordnance capabilities. A complex of buildings was constructed on the site including a large, architecturally sophisticated academy building as well as barracks, officers' quarters and armorers' shops. The cantonment successfully trained the officers and men of the artillery brigade and made necessary repairs to artillery ordnance. Plans are underway to study the 190,000 artifacts uncovered at the site by the Pluckemin Archaeological Project and to interpret the site which is now surrounded by the Hills housing development.
www.jvanderveerhouse.com
Pluckemin School House
Pluckemin School House*
2020 Burnt Mills Road
The Pluckemin School is a two story brick and frame former school that was constructed in 1912. It also previously served as the Township's municipal building. It now is the headquarters of the Somerset Art Association which has frequent art exhibits in its Johnson Art Gallery.www.somersetart.org
908-234-2345

BERNARDS TOWNSHIP

The Academy, Basking Ridge
The Academy*
15 West Oak St., Basking Ridge.
The Academy, sometimes called the Basking Ridge Classical School or Brick Academy, was constructed by the Reverend Robert Finley, a pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Basking Ridge. Constructed in 1809 in the Federal style, it is representative of the numerous classical seminaries created in New Jersey during the 19th century for educating the male children of wealthy citizens of the state. The exterior has never been altered and appears the same as it did in 1809. Theodore Frelinghuysen, United States Senator, William L. Daton, United States Senator and first vice-presidential candidate of the Republican Party (1856), and Samuel Southard, Governor of New Jersey and Secretary of the Navy, were alumni. It currently serves as the headquarters of the Historical Society of the Somerset Hills and contains a research room/library and museum.www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org
908-221-1770
Boudinot-Southard-Ross Farmstead
Boudinot-Southard-Ross Farmstead*
135 North Maple Avenue
The Boudinot-Southard-Ross Farmstead consists of a complex of farm related buildings located in a beautiful rural setting. These buildings include a two-and-one half story farmhouse, a mid-19th century bank barn, carriage house, potting shed and well house. The site was the home of Elias Boudinot, President of the Continental Congress and signer of the Treaty of Paris. It was also the home of Samuel Southard, acting Vice President, United States Senator and Secretary of the Navy. The current house, which appears to have been built in phases in the early-mid 19th century and continuing into the 20th century. It is now an impressive example of the colonial revival architecture. Te site is operated by the Somerset County Park Commission
www.somersetcountyparks.org
Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead
Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead*
450 King George Road
Picturesquely situated on the banks of the Passaic River, the Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead is a vestige of Bernard's Township's rural agricultural past. The site contains a Dutch framed farmhouse, a four-bay 18th century English Barn and a Dutch and English framed wagon house among other buildings. Three significant individuals contributed to the evolution of this farmstead. Rev. Samuel Kennedy was the minister of the Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church. He established a Classical school, one of the earliest in the State. During the American Revolution, Ephraim Martin was an American officer in the Revolution and played a major role in New Jersey's adoption of the Bill of Rights. Oliver Stelle was a successful farmer and investor. The site is owned by Bernards Township and operated by the Friends of the Kennedy-Martin-Stelle Farmstead.
http://www.farmsteadartscenter.com
908-647-2241
Lord Stirling Manor Site*
96 Lord Stirling Road
Lord Stirling was an ardent patriot who led the New Jersey Militia and was a Brigadier General in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. Lord Stirling moved to his recently completed countryseat at Basking Ridge in 1768. There was a three-story brick dwelling, stables, a coach house and other outbuildings. It was a productive estate that raised flax and apples and bred blooded horses. All that remains on the site are two small brick outbuildings that date from the early 19th century.
www.somersetcountyparks.org
908-766-2489
Lyons Train Station
Lyons Train Station*
Cross Road
This one-story Tudor Revival and Mission Revival style structure was built in 1931. It is faced with stucco and brick and has limestone trim with carved rosette ornamentation at the gable ends. It was designed by Delaware Lackawanna and Western Railroad architect D.T. Mack or one of his staff. It was built largely to accommodate the growing number of visitors to Veterans Hospital. It was the last station built on the Gladstone Branch. It is now owned by Bernards Township.
Frothingham/USGA Museum
United States Golf Association Museum, (Frothingham-Sloane House)
77 Liberty Corner Road
This Georgian Revival mansion, constructed in 1919, was built for Thomas Frothingham and later sold to John Sloan, a prominent furniture retailer. It was designed by John Russell Pope, a leading designer of country houses for wealthy patrons early in the 20th century. He was later known for his monumental architecture in Washington, D.C., including the Jefferson Memorial. The mansion now houses the United States Golf Association Museum. Open Tuesday to Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. 908-234-2300
www.usgamuseum.com
Lyons Veterans Administration Hospital
Lyons Veterans Administration Hospital
151 Knollcroft Road
Construction of the Lyons Veterans Administration Hospital began in 1929 and was open as a neuropsychiatric hospital in 1930. It is significant since it is an excellent example of a neuropsychiatric hospital complex from the 1930's and for its monumental buildings designed in the Colonial Revival and Classical Revival styles. The site is the location of the Military Hospital Museum at Lyons. The museum contains items from the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I and II, Korean War, Vietnam, Persian Gulf Wars and Afghanistan. Also included in the collection is trench art, propaganda posters, American and foreign uniforms and displays of veterans art.
908-647-01080 ext. 4217

BERNARDSVILLE BOROUGH

Bernardsville Train Station*
U.S. Route 202
This one-story, hipped-roof structure was constructed in 1901-1902. It is a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style with its massive stone walls, curved bays and sweeping roofs. The interior classical detailing includes Corinthian pilasters carved in oak, wood-paneled wainscot and wood trim. The station was designed by Bradford Gilbert, who specialized in designing railroad stations. Mort Schley, a real estate promoter and founder of Far Hills Borough, paid for the station's construction. It is owned by NJ Transit.
Morristown National Historical Park, New Jersey Brigade
Morristown National Historical Park, New Jersey Brigade*
Hardscrabble and Jockey Hollow Roads
The New Jersey Brigade of 1,300 men camped a few miles south of General Washington's main army camped at Jockey Hollow during the "hard winter" of 1779-1780. Washington selected this area because of its strategic location in the Watchung Mountains and since it was heavily wooded from which shelters could be constructed. Archaeological investigation in 1968 revealed a road leading to Morristown from the encampment. The location of numerous officers' and enlisted men's huts were also discovered.

The site also is the location of the W. Redmond Cross Estate. The estate contains numerous structures including a main house, a picturesque, five-story stone water tower and a chalet, designed in the Craftsman/Japanese bungalow style. John Bensel originally developed the estate in the early 20th century. He was the dock commissioner of the New York City Dock Department as well as state engineer. The property was sold to W. Redmond Cross, a New York banker. He was president of the New York Zoological Society. He made numerous changes to the estate. The main house, as finally altered in 1940-41 now suggests the French Eclectic style that was popular at that time. The alterations were designed by New York architect Frederick R. King. The site also contains a formal garden designed by landscape architect Clarence Fowler. It became part of the Morristown National Historical Park in 1969 as a result of a donation by the Audubon Society of New Jersey. www.nps.gov/morr/index.htm 973-543-4030

BOUND BROOK BOROUGH

Bound Brook Train Station
Bound Brook Train Station*
198 East Main Street
Constructed in 1913 by the Reading Railroad, this Flemish-bond brick structure has a brick balustrade and limestone trim. It was designed by William I. Houghton, architect of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad in the Classical Revival style with Colonial Revival influences. The platform canopies are hung from the building and attached to it by lion-head features. The waiting room has a terrazzo floor and quarried-tile wainscoting.
Old Stone Arch Bridge
Old Stone Arch Bridge*
Railroad Avenue
Possibly constructed as early as 1731, the Old Stone Arch Bridge may be the oldest bridge in New Jersey. The bridge formally carried the Raritan Road, an important colonial-era roadway, over the Bound Brook. It was the scene of a portion of the Battle of Bound Brook when, on April 13,1777, Hessian troops at the bridge were "exposed to a murderous fire" from the half-moon battery located near the present roundabout in Bound Brook. The bridge has three arches and is 80 feet in length. The bridge was widened in the late 19th century and sometime in the early 20th century the streambed under the bridge was filled. Since the main road had previously been moved to present-day Main Street, the bridge was buried. Plans are under way by Somerset County to improve the site and expose the bridge for public view.
Brook Theater
Brook Theater
10 Hamilton Street
Constructed in 1926 by Alexander Morecroft, a local developer, the Brook Theater is the only remaining historic Vaudeville theater in Somerset County. It was designed by Newark architect William E. Lehman. Entertainment that has taken place in the Theater include Vaudeville acts in the 1920's, black and white "pictures shows, theater pipe organ concerts, color movies in the 1930's and later cinemascope movies, live concerts, plays and musicals. The Theater is operated by the Somerset County Cultural Arts Center.
www.brookarts.org
732-469-7700

BRANCHBURG TOWNSHIP

Elm Street Bridge
Elm Street Bridge*
Elm Street over the South Branch of the Raritan River
The Elm Street Bridge is a rare example of a lenticular, or parabolic, truss. The structure consists of two spans and is 285 feet in length. It was built in 1896 by the nationally known Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut. The Elm Street Bridge still retains its historical integrity, original design, and is the best preserved example of this type of truss bridge in the state. It was rehabilitated by the Somerset County in 2007.
South Branch School House
South Branch School House*
2120 South Branch Road
The South Branch School, constructed in 1873, is an excellent example that once abounded in New Jersey of a well-preserved, one-room vernacular Victorian-Italianate schoolhouse. Almost all of its original exterior and interior features have been preserved, including vertical beaded tongue-and-groove wainscoting on all four interior walls. The Township has restored the original bell tower, which had been removed. The school was the first in the area built expressly as a tuition-free public school following the 1871 Free School Bill. It is owned and maintained by Branchburg Township.
908-526-1300
Andrew Ten Eyck House
Andrew Ten Eyck House*
671 Old York Road
The Andrew Ten Eyck House is an important example of the township's early domestic architecture. The original brick portion of the house was constructed in the early 19th century, while the frame rear portion was added in the early 20th century. Early interior fabric still remaining includes door and window surrounds, door panels and fireplace mantels in the Federal style, as well as tongue-and-groove flooring and beaded baseboards. The second floor contains a local research library. The site is owned and maintained by the Branchburg Historical Society. Open by appointment.
908-722-2124

BRIDGEWATER TOWNSHIP

American Redoubt
American Redoubt*
1824 Bolmer Farm Road
An outstanding and rare example of an American field fortification, this is typical of the earthworks that were erected by both sides in the area during the war. It is one of the few remaining intact and unaltered Revolutionary War redoubts left in the United States. This particular earthwork was constructed in June 1777 to protect the right flank of the Continental Army Camp at Middlebrook and was also used during the Middlebrook Cantonment 1778-1779. The site is marked and open to the public courtesy of the Spring Run development.
Middlebrook Encampment and Cantonment (Washington Camp Ground)
Middlebrook Encampment and Cantonment (Washington Camp Ground)*
Middlebrook Road/Miller Lane
This area was the scene of two encampments of major portions of Washington's Continental Army during the early summer of 1777, and during the winter of 1778-1779. In May of 1777 Washington moved his entire army into Somerset County. The largest portion of his forces (approximately 5,000 troops) was stationed just north of Bound Brook (known as the First Middlebrook Encampment). The presence of the American Army at Middlebrook foiled the British plans for taking Philadelphia by land in the spring of 1777. When the 13-star flag was officially adopted by Congress in 1777, the first place it was flown over Continental troops was at Middlebrook.

In December of 1778 the portion of the American Army under direct command of General Washington returned to Middlebrook. Almost 10,000 soldiers were encamped at Middlebrook and other areas of the county (know as the Middlebrook Cantonment). Unlike the previous year at Valley Forge, the winter was remarkably mild and supplies were for the most part plentiful. The encampment was significant for several reasons, among which were the establishment of the first military training academy for artillery officers (Pluckemin), the first training program for army surgeons and the formation of the Continental Army's first light-infantry corps under General Friedrich von Steuben. The Washington Campground Association and Somerset County own portions of the encampments.

Van Horne House
Van Horne House*
941 Main Street
The present Van Horne House probably dates back to the late 18th century and was extensively remodeled in the middle decades of the 19th and 20th centuries. This site, known as "Phil's Hill", was named after Phillip Van Horne, a Bridgewater merchant. It was the site of numerous important events during the Revolutionary War including a portion of the fighting during the Battle of Bound Brook. It was used at various times by Generals Lincoln, Stirling, Lee and Cornwallis. The house is owned by Somerset County and operated by the Heritage Trail Association.
www.heritagetrail.org
732-356-8856
Van Veghten House
Van Veghten House*
9 Van Veghten Drive
Built in the early 1700s, the Van Veghten House served as headquarters for Quartermaster General Nathaniel Green during the Middlebrook Cantonment of 1778-1779. It was originally was a brick one-and-one- half-story dwelling that was widened and enlarged to two-and-one-half stories, probably prior to the Revolution. Derrick Van Veghten was the County Commissioner of Highways and a member of the Colonial Assembly. It was updated to the Greek Revival style in the late 1830s by Richard Van Veghten. The Somerset County Historical Society now operates the site. Hours: Tuesday 12:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m., Saturday 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. December through March closed.
www.schsnj.org
908-218-1281

FAR HILLS

Far Hills Train Station
Far Hills Train Station*
U.S. Route 202 This Renaissance Revival-style structure, with a central eyelid dormer and Spanish-tiled hipped roof, was constructed in 1914. The walls are made of poured concrete. The walls and chimneys have green glazed tile plaques that match the roof tile. The ticket counter and water fountain are made of marble while the waiting room has a terrazzo floor with a tile border and wainscoting made of glazed brick. It was designed by L.R. Simpson, an in-house architect with the DL&W Railroad. It is owned by NJ Transit and leased to Butlers Pantry Trackside Restaurant.

FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP

Blackwells Mills Canal House
Blackwells Mills Canal House* (Bridge Tenders House)
598 Canal Road
The two-story Blackwells Mills Canal House, constructed circa 1834, was build for the bridge tender and his family. The original integrity of the house is uncompromised and has on display furniture and other items of the mid 19th century. The bridge tender's job required constant supervision of passing barges on the Canal, raising the bridge to allow for the passage of boats. The house is maintained by the Blackwells Mills Canal House Association.
www.themeadowsfoundation.org/blackwellsmills.html
732-828-7418
Delaware and Raritan Canal
Delaware and Raritan Canal*
The Delaware and Raritan Canal traverses 22 miles of Somerset County, from Landing Lane in the eastern section of Franklin Township through South Bound Brook to Kingston in the southern section of Franklin. Historic structures include locks at South Bound Brook and Griggstown; the homes of the bridgetenders and locktenders at Zarephath, Weston, East Millstone, Blackwells Mills, Griggstown and Kingston; and spillways, aqueducts and bridges. Once an important link in the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, the canal operated from 1834 to 1932, carrying anthracite coal, farm products, terra cotta, rock and much more. In 1866 a record 2.9 million tons were shipped through the waterway - more tonnage than was carried in any single year by the longer and more famous Erie Canal. Hours: Dawn to dusk, all year.
www.dandrcanal.com
609-924-5705
Hendrick Fisher Homestead
Hendrick Fisher House
1960 Easton Avenue
A portion of the Hendrick Fisher House may be the oldest structure in Somerset County, built c. 1688 for William Dockwra. The building was substantially remodeled to its current Colonial Revival style exterior by then-owner Claude Goodsell in the early 20th century. The interior features Art Nouveau style wood paneling and inlaid flooring. The house was owned by Hendrick Fisher (originally Visscher), a Revolutionary firebrand and farmer whose resistance to the British during the six years the Revolution was fought in New Jersey contributed to the patriots' ultimate victory. A plaque has been affixed to the building in nearby Bound Brook where Fisher read the Declaration of Independence.
www.uocofusa.org
732-356-0090
Franklin Inn
Franklin Inn (Van Liew House)*
2371 Amwell Road
The Franklin Inn was constructed in 1752 as a Dutch farm house by Cornelius Van Liew. During the American Revolution it is reputed to have served as the headquarters for British General Cornwallis while his troops camped nearby. In 1829 the house was converted to a tavern in preparation for the opening of the Delaware and Raritan Canal in 1834. It is now the Franklin Inn Used Bookstore and listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the East Millstone Historic District. The building is maintained by the Meadows Foundation. The house is currently closed for repairs.
www.themeadowsfoundation.org
732-828-7418
Griggstown Bridgetender's House
Griggstown Bridgetender's House*
2 Griggstown Causeway
Build circa 1834 when the D&R Canal was constructed this structure housed the bridgetender and his family. In the early days of the Canal there were draw bridges which had to be raised in order to allow the mules and boats to pass along the canal. The Griggstown Bridgetender's House is a good example of a three bay center hall house common along the Canal. It is one of only two stone houses in Griggstown. Plans are underway for it restoration.
www.dandrcanal.com
Griggstown School House
Griggstown School House*
1565 Canal Road
The Griggstown School House was constructed circa 1830 in the Gothic Revival style. This one room school house has board and batten siding with pedimented window heads and Greek Revival moldings. It was originally located along Canal Road it was moved to a site behind the Griggstown Reformed Church in 1854 and moved again in 1960 when the Church built a new Hall. It closed as a school in 1932. The building has recently been restored by the Griggstown Historical Society. Tours by appointment.
908-359-3589
Hageman Farm
Hageman Farm*
205 South Middlebush Road
The Victorian Italianate house on the Hageman farm was built circa 1861 by Benjamin A. Hageman. www.themeadowsfoundation.org
732-828-7418
Hageman Horse Barn
Hageman Barns*
205 South Middlebush Road
The horse barn (pictured) is a unique two-story wagon building which was constructed by Garretson Hageman in 1876. It is a blend of Dutch and English framing with Victorian details. The dairy barn is a gabled roof structure constructed in 1876. The site also includes a 19th century carriage house. The barns are being restored by the Meadows Foundation.
www.themeadowsfoundation.org
732-828-7418
Kingston Bridge*
Old Route 27 over the Millstone River
The Kingston bridge is the second oldest remaining bridge in Somerset County. It was built in 1798 to replace the wooden bridge burned during the Revolution and is the county's largest stone road bridge, consisting of four arches. The bridge was constructed to carry the King's Highway, now Route 27, over the Millstone River. This road was an important stage coach lines that crossed the state between New York and Philadelphia. The Kingston Bridge is an excellent example of late eighteenth century masonry. The bridge was closed to traffic in 1963 and is now part of the Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park.
www.dandrcanal.com
609-924-5705
Long House
Long House* (Mule Tenders Barracks)
4 Griggstown Causeway
The Long House was believed to have been constructed by Cornelius Simonson as a grain storage facility in the second quarter of the 19th century. At one time the building served as a store, post office and interpretive center. Plans are underway to restore the building and again use it as an interpretive center.
www.dandrcanal.com
609-924-5705
Rockingham
Rockingham*
84 Laurel Avenue
Rockingham was the headquarters of General Washington for three months in 1783 while he attended sessions of the Continental Congress, which was then meeting in Princeton. Washington wrote his "Farewell Orders to the Armies of the United States" from this house. John Harrison, the owner of a gristmill, constructed the earliest section of the house between 1702 and 1710. Later additions were made in the 1760s by John Barrien, a prosperous farmer and New Jersey Superior Court Justice. It has been owned by the State of New Jersey since 1935. The site maintains a fine collection of 18 century furnishings and a Colonial kitchen garden. Admission to the house is by guided tour only.
www.rockingham.net.
609-683-7132
Six Mile Run Historic District
Six Mile Run Historic District*
South Middlebush Road
The Six Mile Run Historic District encompasses exceptionally well-preserved vistas of a Dutch-settled, rural 19th-century landscape that once characterized the Raritan Valley. The numerous farmsteads represent the evolution of a rural agricultural economy from the early 18th century to the early 20th century. The 198 contributing structures include 18th- and 19th-century dwellings, a number of New World Dutch barns, English barns, smoke houses, corncribs, granaries and other outbuildings. Significant structures in the district include the Dutch-vernacular Wyckoff-Garretson house, constructed 1730/1810, the Italianate Van Liew-Suydam House and the Hageman House, both constructed c. 1875. Other houses exhibit influences of the Federal and Greek Revival styles.
Tulipwood
Tulipwood*
1165 Hamilton Street
Constructed in 1892, Tulipwood is a rare surviving example, in Somerset County, of the Shingle Style. Tulipwood was thought to have been designed by New York architect J. August Lienau for Stephen G. Williams, a New York attorney. In 1920 the property was sold to Leigh W. Kimball in whose family the house descended until it was purchased by Franklin Township in 2003. Leigh Kimball was a professor of romance languages at Rutgers University. Tulipwood retains it integrity both interior and exterior. The exterior retains its gambrel roof, its porch with Tuscan columns and its six over six windows with louvered shutters. The interior retains its wood paneling and exposed beams reminiscent of medieval "old English" design as well as a fireplace with sophisticated carved mantels. The house is maintained by the Meadows Foundation and open house tours are held the second Sunday of each month.
www.themeadowsfoundation.org
732-828-7418
Van Liew-Suydam House
Van Liew-Suydam House*
280 South Middlebush Road
Located on a picturesque hilltop, the house was constructed in 1875 by Peter Suydam. It is a fine example of a Victorian-Italianate agricultural dwelling common to the eastern seaboard in the mid 19th century. It is owned by Franklin Township and maintained by the Meadows Foundation.
www.meadowsfoundation.org.
732-828-7418
Van Wickel House
Van Wickle House (The Meadows)*
1289 Easton Avenue
The Van Wickle House is an excellent example of the New Jersey Dutch style, which combines Dutch, Flemish and English characteristics. The original section of the house may have been constructed as early as 1722. The interior of this section clearly shows the Dutch system of post-and-beam construction. The house still has the original split shingles with round butts on the east or front facade. Symen Van Wickle was a prosperous land owner who built the original section of the house. It is owned by Franklin Township and operated by the Meadows Foundation.
www.meadowsfoundation.org.
732-828-7418
Wyckoff-Garretson House
Wyckoff-Garretson House*
215 South Middlebush Road
Built circa 1730 by John Wyckoff, one of the earliest settlers in the area, with an addition in 1805 by Samuel Garretson. The house is a remarkably intact example of Dutch framing techniques. It is being restored as a center for the interpretation of Dutch culture in Somerset County by the Meadows Foundation.
www.meadowsfoundation.org.
732-828-7418

GREEN BROOK TOWNSHIP

Washington Rock
Washington Rock State Park
Rock Road East
The strategic location of Washington Rock, with a 30-mile panoramic view of the Raritan Valley, made it a valuable lookout point for General Washington in June of 1777 while he was at Middlebrook. He was guided to the location by local resident Edward Fitz Randolph.

HILLSBOROUGH TOWNSHIP

Cat Tail Brook Bridge*
Montgomery Road
This simple single-arch stone bridge with an eleven-foot span was built of local fieldstone in 1825. It carries Montgomery Road over the Cat Tail Brook. It is one of the two remaining stone-arch bridges in Hillsborough Township and is a fine example of local stone craftsmanship of the early 19th century. It is maintained by Somerset County.
Duke Farms
Duke Farms*
U.S. Route 206
The 2,700 acre Dukes Farms was the estate of tobacco tycoon and philanthropist James Buchanan Duke. Developed in the early 20th century it was considered one of the greatest man made landscapes in American. The landscape was designed by Duke along with landscape architect Horatio N. Buckingham of Boston. It characterized by numerous bridges, well houses, pergolas, stone walls and other features designed in the Boulder Style. There are also a series of man made lakes and bridges in the neo-classical style.

There are a number of significant buildings on the site including the coach house and dairy barn both designed by Kendall, Taylor and Stevens of Boston and the conservatory designed by Horace Trumbauer. Both Kendall, Taylor and Stevens and Trumbauer designed a number of other buildings on the site including picturesque cottages. The site is opened for tours and educational programs. The property is owned by the Duke Farms foundation, which maintains the estates array of natural, horticultural and historic resources.
www.dukefarms.org
908-722-3700

Higginville Road Bridge
Higginsville Road Bridges*
Higginsville Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River
The Higginsville Road Bridges are two pin-connected, Pratt through-truss metal road bridges. The northerly bridge, which is bisected by the county line, was constructed in 1890 by the Miliken Brothers of New York. There are few documented examples of Miliken Brothers bridges, which increases its significance. The southerly bridge, entirely in Somerset County, was constructed in 1893 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The Wrought Iron Bridge Company was recognized as one of the most significant regional manufacturers of metal-truss bridges. The bridges are fine examples of 19th-century engineering and construction and are in a remarkable state of preservation. The bridges are maintained by Somerset County.
Nevius Street Bridge, Raritan
Nevius Street Bridge*
Nevius Street over the Raritan River
The Nevius Street Bridge is a three-hundred-foot-long, two-span, double-intersection Pratt through-truss bridge. It is the last double-intersection Pratt truss bridge and the oldest metal-truss bridge in the county, still in its original location, being constructed in 1886 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. It is remarkably complete, and is one of the least altered metal-truss highway bridges in the county. Construction of the Nevius Street Bridge marked the first time that the Board of Chosen Freeholders hired a professional civil engineer, F. A. Dunham, to supervise the construction of a bridge. It is maintained by Somerset County.
Rock Brook Bridge*
Long Hill and Dutchtown-Zion Roads
The Rock Brook Bridge is a random-rubble stone bridge with two arches and an open span. The bridge is located at the junction of Long Hill and Dutchtown-Zion Roads. H. Hageman, who was almost certainly a local mason, built it in 1825. The open span replaced a third arch, which was washed out by a storm in 1891. The structure is 41 feet long and 16 feet wide. The earliest part of the bridge is a good example of local bridge-building methods, and stone construction in general, in the county in the early 19th century. It is maintained by Somerset County.
Woodfern Road Bridge, Raritan
Woodfern Road Bridge
Woodfern Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River
The Woodfern Road bridge is a two-span Pratt through truss with pin-connected joints. It carries Woodfern Road over the South Branch of the Raritan River. It was built in two parts, in 1901-1902, by manufacturer John W. Scott and Somerset County engineer Joshua Doughty, Jr. The southern span is 84 feet long and the northern span is 101 feet long. Both spans are 17 feet wide and 18 feet high. It is maintained by Somerset County.

MANVILLE BOROUGH

Bridge Street Bridge
Bridge Street Bridge
Bridge Street over the CSX Railroad
The Bridge Street Bridge was constructed in 1918 by the Phoenix Bridge Company as part of the Reading Railroad grade crossing elimination project. It is a 121 foot long, single-span, eight-panel Warren thru-truss, supported on scored concrete abutments. This is the only surviving truss bridge of its type in Somerset County. The bridge was recently restored and rehabilitated by the New Jersey Department of Transportation. The Borough of Manville has now assumed responsibility for maintenance of the Bridge.

MILLSTONE BOROUGH

Millstone Borough Hall
Millstone Borough Hall*
1353 Main Street
The Millstone Borough Hall was originally a one room school house constructed circa 1860. It still contains its original tin ceiling and tongue and groove beaded-board wainscoting. It was used as a school until around 1940. It now serves as the municipal building. The building is currently being restored by the Borough.
www.millstoneboro.org
Old Millstone Forge.
Old Millstone Forge*
9 North River Street
Constructed sometime between 1828 and 1836 the two-story blacksmith shop remained in operation for around 125 years, providing essential products for farmers, householders and tradesmen well into the 20th century. It is undoubtedly the longest operating blacksmith shop in the state. Efforts to preserve the Blacksmith Shop began in 1959 as a memorial to Edward H. Wyckoff who served as the blacksmith for a remarkable 64 years. The Old Millstone Forge Association was formed in 1961 and continues to operate the forge as a blacksmith shop and a living history museum. The Forge also has a significant collection of blacksmithing tools.
www.oldmillstoneforge.org

MONTGOMERY TOWNSHIP

Bedens Brook Road Bridge*
Bedens Brook Road
The Bedens Brook Road Bridge is a single-arch, random-rubble stone structure built across a tributary of Bedens Brook. Its construction date is unknown but it is thought to have been constructed in the latter part of the 19th century. The bridge is remarkably intact, retaining its stonework, arch, wing walls and parapets (the low walls along the outside edge of the bridge). It is 20 feet long with a roadway of 16-and-a-half feet. The arch section of the bridge stands six feet high from the stream bed to the top of the arch. It is maintained by Somerset County.
Bedensville School House*
Bedensville School House
244 Orchard Road
The Bedensville Schoolhouse was built in 1853 in the Dutch style. It was moved to its present site and accurately restored by of the Bicentennial Committee, the Van Harlingen Historical Society, and local residents. It is now operated as a living history museum by the Van Harlingen Historical Society and is located on the grounds of the Orchard Hill Elementary School.
www.vanharlingen.org
Dirck Gulick House*
Dirck Gulick House*
506 Belle Mead-Blawenburg Road
The Dirck Gulick House is a small, one-story stone vernacular Dutch structure. It has segmented arches of stone above the doors and windows as well as two front entrances. The original stone plaque, which reads "D + G G This House Built In the Year 1752", still exists on the front facade. The use of stone by the Dutch in the Raritan Valley was rare. Since the dwelling was constructed at the base of the Sourland Mountain, the availability of nearby fieldstone may have influenced the use of stone. Dirck Gulick, one of the areas original settlers, purchased the property in 1727. The house is the headquarters of the Van Harlingen Historical Society of Montgomery Township and houses a local research library.
www.vanharlingen.org
Mill Pond Bridge, Montgomery
Mill Pond Bridge*
Dead Tree Run Road over the Pike Run
The Mill Pond Bridge is located in one of the most picturesque areas in Somerset County, the Bridgepoint Historic District. The bridge is a triple arch bridge built of random fieldstones. The date of construction is thought to be in the 1820s was repaired and restored by Somerset County in 2000.
Oppossum Road Bridge*
Oppossum Road over Bedens Brook
Built across Bedens Brook in 1822, the Oppossum Road Bridge is a double-arched, random-rubble stone bridge, which retains its original stonework, arches, parapets and approaches. It is a good example not only of local bridge-building methods, but also of stone construction in general in the county. The bridge is 54 feet long, 15 feet wide and rises to a camelback shape at its center, which is 18 feet above the bed of Bedens Brook. The two arches are nine-and-a-half feet high and 20 feet wide. It is maintained by Somerset County.
Rock Brook Bridge*
Rock Brook Road
The Rock Brook Bridge is a random-rubble stone bridge with two arches and an open span. The bridge is located at the junction of Long Hill and Dutchtown-Zion Roads. H. Hageman, who was almost certainly a local mason, built it in 1825. The open span replaced a third arch, which was washed out by a storm in 1891. The structure is 41 feet long and 16 feet wide. The double-arched section of the bridge stands about 10 feet high, from the shallow rocky bed of the brook to the roadway. The earliest part of the bridge is a good example of local bridge-building methods, and stone construction in general, in the county in the early 19th century. It is maintained by Somerset County.

NORTH PLAINFIELD BOROUGH

Vermeule Mansion, North Plainfield aka Vanderventer Brunson House.*
Vermeule Mansion (Van Derventer/Brunson House)*
614 Greenbrook Road
The Vanderventer/Brunson House was probably constructed in 1840 in the Greek Revival style. In 1870 it was enlarged and remodeled in the Second Empire style, acquiring a mansard-roofed third story. In the early 20th century it was again enlarged and Colonial Revival fireplaces and features were introduced. Jermiah Van Derventer was responsible for the 1870 remodeling of the house. He was a successful businessman who served as president of the First National Bank of Plainfield as well as the president of Plainfield's gas company. He served on the Plainfield Township Committee and was a member of the County Board of Chosen Freeholders. Augustus J. Brunson, Van Derventer's grandson, was responsible for the early-20th-century renovations. He was an attorney and was also the president of the First National Bank of Plainfield. The house now contains the Fleetwood Museum of Art and Photographica. The site is owned by North Plainfield and is operated by the Friends of the Vermeule Mansion.
908-561-1962

PEAPACK & GLADSTONE BOROUGH

Gladstone Train Station.*
Gladstone Train Station*
Main Street
A fine example of the Queen Anne style, this station was constructed in 1890. It is a one-and-a-half-story structure with a hipped roof and flared eaves. The dormers, with square-pane windows and cylindrical-corner projections, are of particular interest. The interior walls and ceilings are sheathed with match boards. Scenes for the Helen Keller Story were filmed here in 1967. The station is owned by NJ Transit.
Limestone Kilns
Limestone Kilns
122 Main Street
The Limestone Kilns in Peapack are all that remains of a thriving limestone business known as Todd's Quarry. The kilns are composed of two adjacent kilns separated by a vertical joint visible in the stone wall, which suggests they may have been constructed at different times. The front wall, constructed of hewn stone, is 26 feet high and is set into the side of a hill that provided easy access to load the limestone and fuel from the top. Lime was used for a number of purposes including fertilizer, motar, whitewash and leather processing. The kilns are maintained and interpreted by the Historical Society of the Somerset Hills.
www.historicalsocietyofsomersethills.org

RARITAN BOROUGH

General Frelinghuysen House
General John Frelinghuysen House*
54 East Somerset Street
This house was the homestead of the Frelinghuysen family, which has long been significant in New Jersey history. General John Frelinghuysen was an attorney who served as a Brigadier General during the War of 1812 and was later the Surrogate of Somerset County. The main part of the house was originally constructed as a one-and-a-half story brick structure in 1750. It was General Frelinghuysen who added the second floor to the brick section in the early 19th century. The Greek Revival porch, with four Doric columns, was added in the mid-19th century. The interior is finished with a graceful stairway. It is now the Raritan Public Library.
www.raritanlibrary.org/history.html
908-725-0413
Hibernia Mine Rail Road Bridge
Hibernia Mine Rail Road Bridge
Pedestrian Path over the Raritan Power Canal
The Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge, constructed in 1879, is a pin connected Pratt through truss bridge with wrought iron Phoenix columns. It is the oldest surviving metal truss bridge in Somerset County, the second oldest Phoenix column bridge in the state and the only one built as a railroad bridge. It was built by Clark, Reeves and Company, as a rail carrying bridge that was located on the Hibernia Mine Railroad in Morris County, New Jersey. The bridge was later moved to Mill Lane, Hillsborough Township, Somerset County in 1894 to carry vehicular traffic as part of a grade-crossing elimination project by the Central Railroad of New Jersey. It was moved to its present location over the Raritan Power Canal in 2006 by Somerset County.
Nevius Street Bridge*
Nevius Street over the Raritan River
See listing under Hillsborough Township
Raritan Train Station
Raritan Train Station*
Anderson Street and Thompson Street
Constructed by the Central New Jersey Railroad in the early 1890s, this station is a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style with Gothic elements. It has heavy rock-faced stone walls and flared, overhanging hipped roof. The dormers have elaborate scalloped bargeboards. The interior is finished entirely in varnished match boards. The architect is not known, however, it may have been Frank V. Bodine, the architect for similar stations in Somerville, Whitehouse and Westfield. The station is owned by NJ Transit.
Relief Hose Co. No. 2, Raritan
Relief Hose Company No. 2 Engine House*
16 Anderson Street
This High Victorian Gothic-style firehouse was completed in 1894. Its most distinctive features include a three-story hose tower, delicate stained-glass windows, Art Nouveau signage and sandstone trim. The building demonstrates the high level of craftsmanship that could be achieved by local architects and builders in Somerset County during the late 19th century. The structure is owned by the Borough of Raritan and is currently undergoing restoration.
www.raritanboro.org

ROCKY HILL BOROUGH

Rocky Hill Community House
Rocky Hill Community House*
62 Washington Street
The house, constructed in the vernacular Federal and Greek Revival styles, is believed to have been built by Benjamin Hatwick circa 1835. It is one of the earliest surviving buildings in Rocky Hill and contains much original exterior and interiors features. It is now operated by the Rocky Hill Community Group.

SOMERVILLE BOROUGH

Old Dutch Parsonage*Old Dutch Parsonage*
71 Somerset Street
This Georgian-style structure was built in 1751 for the Reverend John Frelinghuysen by funds from three Dutch Reformed churches in the Raritan Valley. Reverend Jacob Hardenbergh played an important part in the American Revolution, serving in the Provincial Congress. He helped to ease tensions between the American army and local inhabitants during the Middlebrook Cantonment. Plans are underway to restore the interior of the house to its 18th-century appearance. It is owned by the State and is open to the public.
www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/virtual_tours/wallace_house.html
908-725-1015
Daniel Robert House
Daniel Robert House (Somerville Borough Hall)*
25 West End Avenue
Constructed in 1888 in the Gothic Revival style, the Daniel Robert House was designed by architects Lambert and Bunnell of Bridgeport, Connecticut. It is a faithful replica of Andrew Jackson Davis's Harral House, also located in Bridgeport. The Robert House is remarkably preserved and retains most of its original Gothic Revival detailing. Daniel Robert, a New York businessman, lived in the building until his death in 1908. His wife, Angeline, sold the building to the Somerville Lodge of the Elks in 1923. The Elks added an auditorium to the building in 1939. In 1958 the Elks sold the property to the Borough of Somerville. The Borough continues to use the building as its Borough Hall while the auditorium addition is used as the Borough Library.
www.somervillenj.org
908-725-2300
Historic Courthouse
Somerset County Court House Green*
35 East Main Street
The Somerset County Court House Green is composed of three main structures: the Court House, the Lord Memorial Fountain and the First Dutch Reformed Church. Constructed in 1909, the Somerset County Court House is a fine example of Beaux-Arts Classicism. The gilded dome is surmounted by a figure of Justice. It was designed by the firm of Gordon, Tracy and Swartwout. James Reilly Gordon was one of America's greatest courthouse architects who also designed the Arizona State Capital. Swartout and Tracy, who at one time worked for the renowned architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White, also designed the Missouri State Capital. The contractor, William H. Fissel, built one wing of the U.S. Capital.
First Dutch Reformed Church
The adjacent First Reformed Church is a free interpretation of an English Gothic church. Constructed in 1897 it was designed by William Appleton Potter, renowned for his architecture on the Princeton University campus. The church is now used by the county as the jurors' waiting room.
Lord Stirling Manor Site
The Lord Memorial Fountain, erected in 1910, was designed by John Russell Pope, one of America's last great neo-classical architects. He also designed the Jefferson Memorial, and the National Gallery of Art. It was sculpted by John Boyde and Thomas C. Post Trolearen.
(908) 231-7110.
Somerville Fire Museum
Somerville Fire Museum*
15 Doughty Street
The Somerville Fire Museum originally housed the West End Hose Company. The two-story brick structure was constructed in 1888, in the Romanesque Revival style, following a public outcry for fire protection services at the west end of town. The building has undergone very few alterations and includes the original colored glass window on the second floor, one-over-one sash windows and brick arch with a granite keystone engraved "West End Hose, 1888." Since 1970 the fire station has been the home of the Somerville Fire Museum. The museum houses the Amoskeag Steamer, Somerville's first piece of steam-operated equipment, firefighting memorabilia and a wealth of photographs. The building is operated by the Borough of Somerville and has recently been restored.
www.somervillenj.org, www.somervillefd.com
908-725-2300
Wallace House
Wallace House*
71 Somerset Street
The Wallace House is an eight-room, Dutch famed, Georgian dwelling constructed in 1776 by John Wallace, a Philadelphia fabric merchant. The house maintains its 18th-century appearance and was recently restored. It was General Washington's headquarters from December 1778 to June 1779, when the Continental Army was stationed at Middlebrook. From the house, Washington planned the strategic Sullivan campaign, which helped to destroy the power of the Iroquois Confederacy. Visitors to the home included General Knox, Benedict Arnold, Alexander Hamilton, Baron Von Steuben, and Lord and Lady Stirling. It has been a museum house for over 100 years. The house is owned by the State and is open to the public. The Friends of the Wallace House and Old Dutch Parsonage Association assists the State in promoting and improving the House.www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/virtual_tours/wallace_house.html
908-725-1015

SOUTH BOUND BROOK BOROUGH

Abraham Staats House.
Abraham Staats House*
17 Von Steuben Lane
The Staats house is an exceptionally intact example of 18th- and early 19th-century Dutch and Federal architecture. The Dutch section, constructed circa 1740, has Dutch-style cast-iron hinges, board and batten doors, Dutch mantels and woodwork and exposed beams. The Federal section has an intact door surround with delicate leaded glass and original Federal mantel. The house was the headquarters for General Baron von Steuben in the spring of 1779 during the Continental Army's Middlebrook Cantonment (Second Middlebrook Encampment). General Washington is said to have visited Von Steuben at the house on two occasions. The house is owned by the Borough of South Bound Brook and is currently undergoing restoration. The Friends of the Abraham Staats House support the restoration, preservation and interpretation of the House. Tours are by appointment.www.staatshouse.org
Delaware and Raritan Canal
See Franklin Township

WARREN TOWNSHIP

Codington Farmstead
Codington Farmstead*
15 Mount Horeb Road The Codington Farmstead farmhouse dates back to 1742 and was built by Issac Codington. The house was expanded in 1780, 1820 and 1880. It was the oldest structure in New Jersey that was owned and operated continuously by the same family from 1742 to 2003. The house has furnishing and decorative arts spanning from the 18th century to 2003. The house is now owned by Warren Township and is operated by the Friends of the Codington Farmstead.
Kirch - Ford House, early 18th century, Warren Twp.
Kirch-Ford-Terrill House*
1 Reinman Road
The original section of this house was most likely constructed between 1766 and 1774 by Thomas Terrill, Sr. It utilizes an H-bent frame a hallmark of Dutch-American architecture. The house has been expanded and altered several times over the past three centuries including a two-and a-half story four room section constructed circa 1795. After the death of Thomas Terrill Sr. his widow Tryphena married William Ford who was a private in the Middlesex County Militia during the American Revolution. In the 1830s, the house was owned by Thomas Terrill, Jr. the first Clerk of Warren Township, Justice of the Peace, County Judge and County Commissioner of Deeds. In 1857 the house was purchased by German immigrant John Kirch and it remained in the Kirch Family until 1978. Since 1980 the house has been owned by Warren Township. It is now operated by the Township Historic Sites Committee and is open to the public.
www.warrennj.org
732-271-1596
 Mount Bethel Baptist Meeting House, Warren
Mount Bethel Baptist Meeting House*
235 Mountainview Road
This meeting house was constructed in 1786, in part with materials salvaged from an earlier structure, by the county's first Baptist congregation. It is one of the few 18th-century timber-frame meeting houses in New Jersey that retains much of its original character. It retains its very early exterior and interior appearances because many of the original features were retained in subsequent building modifications. The meeting house is a representative example of the simple church structures erected throughout the United States in the 18th century and reflects the austerity and frugality practiced by the congregation at that time. It is maintained by the Warren Township Historic Sites Committee and is open by appointment only.
www.warrennj.org
732-271-1596
Note: The Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Commission map
lists additional sites as well as historic districts.
Phone: 908-231-7110.
.
E-mail: CulturalHeritage@co.somerset.nj.us
Return To:
The Top
The Somerset County Public Information Office | Somerset County Page


Updated Mar 18, 2014
© 1996 - 2014, Somerset County Public Information Office, beachcomber.com